World surf tripper Duncan Scott knows all about getting burnt... Duncans pursuits takes him between his native South Africa, to Indo and Europe throughout the year and a trip to the Islands if he’s lucky. "Island Tribe is my first choice anyday," says Duncan, who as an O’Neill Academy Instructor in the summer, swears by Island Tribe’s SPF30+ protection
Q: How did you get into your sport ?
I was fascinated by the ocean as a child, always wondering what was over the horizon. I started lifesaving, diving and hanging out at the beach where I saw surfers, always looking stoked to go surfing. My brothers and I started out together, camping at the beach all day, making fires and sleeping in the bushes in our boardbags over school holidays. It’s been my passion and addiction ever since, and has taken me all over the world...
Q: Preferred discipline
I compete in WQS events, but love the variety of waves and cultures experienced during editorial travel/ freesurfing the most. Big barrels and airs, and I have to love those right pointbreaks.
Q: Best results and highlights
All the travelling and being able to discover and enjoy perfect waves has always been my highlight. At the moment I’m hitting 12-15 countries per year. Most recently, the waves, and having the film we made during the O’Neill Ireland trip "Emerald Waters" win best surf movie and 2nd place overall at the European Freesports Film Festival.
9th HIC Pro Hawaii - Pipe1997.
2nd Oshmans O’Neill World Challenge, Japan 1998
2nd Rip Curl National Championships 1999
17th O’Neill Coldwater Classic, 4* WQS California 2000
Zigzag Magazine Awards "Photo-slut of the Year" 2000 due to featuring in 15 surf magazines around the world.
Discovered epic new waves in Andaman Islands, India 2000
Zigzag Magazine Awards "Most Stoked Surfer of the Year" - after freesurfing trips to 10 countries. 2002
Q: Who do you look up to in your sport ? Why ?
Tom Curren - childhood hero and master of flow.
• Brad Gerlach - for personality, style and his encouragement.
• Shaun Tomson - former World Champ, tuberiding icon. He spearheaded the performance push of the ’Freeride Generation’ gave me guidance in Hawaii and into a pro surfing career.
• Derek Hynd - for his untainted love of surfing and pure performances. Former top 10 pro surfer, writer, pro tour observer, critic, visionary, and purist. But a shit driver! Thanks for the perspective, Derek.
• Kelly Slater - 6 world titles barely describe his talent, drive, creativity and endless personal refinements. Always comes over to talk and catch up, despite all the demands on his time and attention. Doesn’t believe his own hype.
• Taylor Knox - show me the rail, baby.
• Taj Burrows - If you love your fins, set them free!
• Chris Malloy/Jack Johnson - world class surfers, travellers, writers, musicians, filmmakers - showing me that I’m on the right path in chasing dreams.
• Lastly, my surfing peers and friends - a global family who’ve made me who I am, fed and housed me and are responsible for my life being so unbelievably blessed. Love you guys!
Q: My Sponsors
O’Neill Wetsuits & Clothing (oneill.com)
Lost Enterprises (lostenterprises.com)
Vans Footwear (vans.com)
Bico Australia (bico.com.au)
Surfco Hawaii Accessories (surfcohawaii.com)
X-trak Traction (xtrak.com)
Spy Optic (spyoptic.com)
True Blue Surf Travel Company (truebluetravel.co.za)
Island Tribe (islandtribe.co.uk)
- Contact Us